Home Security Tips
With the clocks going back and the evenings getting darker, we thought we'd put together some handy security tips to help keep you and your family safe this Winter!
- Close your windows & lock your doors: It might seem obvious but one-third of burglars will enter the house through the front door.
- Light up:The most common time for a burglary is between 5pm and 11pm. During this time you should make sure your home is well lit. Use timed switches if don’t plan on being home!
- Don’t Advertise:Keep valuable possessions away from the windows and keep your curtains & blinds closed downstairs to make sure a burglar isn’t drawn to your home.
- Don’t keep spare keys outside:Instead, ensure your neighbour has a spare set for emergencies.
- Before answering the door:Check for unwelcome visitors. Check the ID of anyone who asks to enter your home for any type of ‘maintenance’ reason.
- Remain vigilant:Alert your neighbours and Gardaí to any suspicious behaviour.
- Don’t broadcast your plans: Don’t update your social media while on holidays or post about your plans. Wait until your home to share any of your lovely photos.
- Alarm your Home:alarms are a proven deterrent to burglars. For example, PhoneWatch customers are 4 times less likely to be broken into.
Keep an eye on the PhoneWatch blog to stay up-to-date with the latest Safety Tips.
Stay safe this Winter! – From everyone at PhoneWatch