Phone chargers have become a necessity of modern life. It's easy to leave your phone or laptop charging and plugged in to the wall for the sake of convenience, even when you are not charging your phone. While electrical safety has increased dramatically, this could still turn out be dangerous from a fire safety perspective. However there are ways to cut down on the risk and, see our handy phone safety tips below.
Charging your phone safety risks
Leaving a charging phone or a hair dryer on your bed could lead to a fire in your home, the National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI) have warned.
Electrical products like hair straighteners, hairdryers, laptops and phone chargers can be incredibly dangerous if left on beds or sofas. Chargers can get very hot when left plugged in.
It's also unsafe to leave phones charging for long periods of time, such as overnight. It's vital to protect your home with a smoke alarm, to ensure early detection of smoke caused by electrical fires.
Phone and laptop charging tips
When charging phones, laptops and electrical items, it's important to bear in mind the following safety tips:
1. Don't buy cheap, unbranded chargers and make sure chargers are compatible to the device being used
2. Don't leave things to charge overnight or beyond the recommended charging time as stipulated in the instructions
3. Don't ever charge an appliance on a combustible surface
4. Do follow the manufacturer's instructions in relation to the device
5. Do keep electrical items away from flammable materials when charging
6. Don't overload electrical sockets
Fire alarms for early detection
It's important to have a fire alarm on every level of your home to protect your family from fire. Fires spread quickly, so it's important to have a working smoke alarm to know as soon as a fire breaks out.
Did you know that even if your alarm is unarmed, the PhoneWatch monitored smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are ‘always on’ and will send signals to the Alarm Receiving Centre.