Keep your home safe this Halloween
One in 12 households in Ireland will be the victim of a crime each year. If you live in an urban area there you are two and half times more likely to be targeted. Burglars target homes that appear vulnerable, make sure yours is not the odd one out by taking simple steps to greatly reduce the risks making you and your home more safe and secure.
- Close your windows & lock your doors: It might seem obvious but a third of all burglars enter houses through the front door. Install a secondary locking system on front and back doors to be extra vigilant.
- Light up: The most common time for a burglary is between 5pm and 11pm. During this time you should make sure your home is well lit. Use timed switches if you are not going to be at home.
- Don’t update Social media or Facebook about your plans.
- Don’t Advertise: Keep valuable possessions away from the windows and keep curtains and blinds closed to make sure a burglar isn’t drawn to your home.
- Sleep tight: With half of all burglaries occurring while people are at home it is just as important to lock your doors while you are at home and in bed.
- Don’t keep spare keys outside: - instead ensure your neighbour has a spare set for emergencies.
- Alarm your Home: PhoneWatch customers are two and half times less likely to be the victim of an attempted burglary.